I have recently written, and am in the process of writing, several articles dealing with pianos that the interested reader is welcome to download. The download links are given below the list. Feedback and questions are always welcome - I enjoy talking about the topic. Feel free to email me.
- The "Aural Tuning Of Pianos". Published in the Journal of the Master Piano Technicians of America, Spring 2020 issue. I explain, and walk you through, the process of achieving the highest quality of musical responsiveness for which a particular piano’s scale is designed.
- The "Use Of Beats In Tuning". Steps back from the first article and focuses on a key underlying part of an aural tuning: hearing the beats.
- "Piano Tuning Considerations". Discusses some practices and approaches that I consider important.
- "Developing Customer Loyalty". Published in the Piano Technicians Journal, April 2022 issue. Encourages piano tuners to demonstrate the quality of their tunings to customers and explains some of the features to highlight.
- "One Hundred Years Ago". Published in the Piano Technicians Journal, August 2022 issue. Presents an overview of the piano industry and of piano tuner-technicians from one hundred years ago, based on published piano tuner journals of the time. (Copies of the old journals referenced in the article are available upon request.)
- "The Hybrid Piano: What Goes Around Comes Around". Describes the potential impact of the computerized hybrid piano and historic temperaments on musical expression.
- "Learning Aural Piano Tuning". Are you interested in learning the fundamentals of aural piano tuning? (The alternative is visual tuning with use of a meter, aka Electronic Tuning Device or ETD.) If you think you could have an interest, or if you would just like to be able to evaluate the status of your piano’s tuning, this set of charts with its nine optional accompanying audio exercises will be of interest.
- "An Introduction To Piano Servicing". I present what I consider to be a fundamental set of guidelines to be followed in servicing pianos.